Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Sausage, kale & tortellini stew








As part of my 40 by 40 in 40 weeks, I have new recipes I want to try. However, me being me, I don't follow the recipe to a T ever. I found this stew recipe in a Family Circle magazine, and then lost the clipping, so I did what I could from memory and taste!

I also used a new vegetable - lacinato kale - which counts as 1 of the 40 new veggies or fruits to try.

What I had:
  • 1 lb sage flavored ground sausage
  • 1 large red onion sliced
  • 5 cloves of garlic minced
  • 4 cups of chicken broth
  • 8 cups of lacinato kale chopped
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 package of frozen sausage tortellini
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • Italian seasoning
What I did:
  • browned the sausage in a big stock pot
  • took it out, leaving the sausage droppings in the pot
  • sautéed the garlic and onions till soft
  • added the sausage back in
  • added the broth, kale, & water in & bring to a boil
  • lowered the heat and added the tortellini
  • let it simmer till tortellini is warmed through
  • served with some warm bread

No comments: