Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Chicken rice casserole


Day 2 of our eating home cooked meals for 40 days and I have to tell you both meals have been under $15, with leftovers for both Jeff and my lunches. I can see we will be saving money! And, I am 2 for 2, as far as the family is concerned. They loved this casserole and it was so easy!

What I had:

  • 3 chicken breasts (pick size for your family, it doesn't matter for this recipe)
  • 1 cup uncooked, rinsed rice (I used basmati because that's what I had, you can use brown, long white)
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1 lb mushrooms chopped (not too fine, you don't want them to disappear in the creamy sauce)
  • 1 small can of cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 small container of heavy whipping cream
  • Salt, pepper, garlic, parsley,m whatever spices you like to taste
What I did:
  • Spread the uncooked rice in the bottom of a 9X13 glass baking pan
  • Spread the cooked quinoa over it
  • Placed the chicken breasts over the quinoa
  • Sprinkled the breasts with salt & pepper
  • Mix the soup & cream in a mixing bowl, added the spices till I liked the taste. I had to add a little more water to make it runnier
  • Pour this mixture over the rice, quinoa & chicken
  • Bake for 60 minutes @ 350 degrees (I had really thick breasts so needed 5 more minutes
  • Serve with any roasted/sautéed/boiled/raw vegetables your 6 year old will eat (or swallow whole as my kid to his asparagus pieces)

No comments: