Monday, March 18, 2013

The only sauce you'll ever want for your dessert

What I had:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup Bailey's Irish Cream Liquor
  • 1/2 cup Kahlua (or any coffee liquor)

What I did:
  • In a saucepan, I melted butter on low heat
  • Added sugar and egg, whisking to blend well.
  • Cooked over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickened. 
  • Whisked in Bailey's and Kahlua.
  • Removed from heat. The sauce should be soft, creamy, and smooth.
  • Right before serving, heated it up and whisked it before pouring onto bread pudding.
The original recipe used a cup of Bourbon but since I was doing a St. Patrick's Day party, I changed that up. For the actual bread pudding, I soaked my raisin in Irish whiskey (of course). I used the recipe linked exactly as it is, but I wasn't ecstatic about the bread pudding. The top was dry and I don't know if using more liquid would help because that would mean more time baking. I guess there's more experimentation to this before I post a successful bread pudding recipe.

But the sauce, oh the sauce! Guests poured it on the pudding, they had it over ice cream, with chocolate cake ... some licked it with their fingers. This is a keeper, it takes any plain old dessert a couple notches up.


No comments: