Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mac and cheese muffins

Or cupcakes, as Oli called them.


What I had:
  • Ronzoni small elbow macaroni, entire box cooked al dente
  • 3 oz shredded gruyere cheese
  • 3 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 16 oz cut spinach (I used frozen, defrosted and drained)
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup 2% milk
  • 1 egg + 1 egg white
  • Salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder
What I did:
  • Melted the butter over medium heat in a medium sauce pan
  • Added the flour and whisked it fast to avoid clumping
  • Poured the milk and garlic in, continuously whisking
  • Brought it to a boil and added both cheeses, mixing till its a creamy cheese sauce
  • Mixed the pasta, spinach and cheese sauce in a large bowl till everything is covered in cheese
  • Poured heaping spoonfuls into a greased muffin pan
  • Baked at 400 for 15 minutes
  • Let sit for 5 minutes before taking the muffins out
Next time, I would add more cheese. I think I used more pasta than the original recipe did here.

No comments: