Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Poppy seed dessert

So, what I really wanted was to use this poppy seed cake and pie filling and make something sweet. I had cream cheese, and I thought I could use Pillsbury crescents and do something. I also had some raisin bread, so I cut slices of that, put the topping on it and baked. They were all delicious, but if you are going to use the crescent dough, use the entire filling. It might look like it's going to overflow, but it won't trust me. I wish I had more filling in there.

Filling:
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 can Solo poppy seed pie and cake filling
  • 8 oz fat free cream cheese
  • 1 cup golden raisins
  • 2 cups chopped pecans
Mix the sugar and cream cheese till soft, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

Top on slices of sweet bread and bake at 400 for 10 minutes.


Or you can do this with the Pillsbury crescent dough:
  • Roll out the crescent roll dough and pinch all seams shut.
  • Spread filling down lengthwise in the middle. Left an inch on each side.
  • Cut 1/2 inch thick strips on both sides of the filling.
  • Folded the strips over the filling, overlapping them a little.
  • Baked at 400 for 12 minutes.

Finish it off before anybody else can get their grubby little hands on any ;-)
 

I love the taste of the poppy seed filling, and I am trying to think of other ways to use. In those pre-made phyllo dessert cups. Inside a cake. With a spoon. The possibilities are endless.
 

No comments: