Sunday, March 30, 2014

Winter day soup

I had some leeks needing to be used up, some cauliflower that had sat in the fridge too long and some sweet potatoes that I was too tired of making chips from. So what does one do? Make a soup that's perfect for an evening that threw an unexpected winters mix at us.

What I had:
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into inch pieces
  • 2 leeks, all the whites and an inch of the green parts chopped
  • Coconut oil
  • Cumin, salt and paprika to taste
  • Parsley for garnish
  • 4 chicken bullion cubes, in 4 cups boiling water
  • 2 cups coconut water
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
What I did:
  • Heat up 2 tbsp coconut oil in a heavy skillet, add leeks till soft
  • Add the cauliflower and sweet potato and pour the chicken broth in
  • Let it simmer for 5 minutes, then add coconut milk and flakes
  • Let this cook for 10 minutes till the vegetables are soft
  • Transfer the entire thing to a blender and blend till almost liquid (I like some pieces in my soup for texture)
  • Transfer back to skillet, add the spices to taste
  • Serve with some cilantro 
When the 3 year old eats something without complaint, it's a big win for me!


No comments: