Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My sweet revenge

So, I finally made my own hot sauce, as I've been threatening to, for more than a year.

What I used:

- 5 mangoes, a mix of ripe and underripe ones, peeled and seeded
- 1/2 white onion
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 lb habaneros
- 1/2 - 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup honey

What I did:

- put all ingredients except for the honey into a blender and blend into a purée
- pour into a frying pan, add the honey and cook till boiling. Let it simmer for 15 minutes or so
- let it cool and store in bottles that are free of any water

You can adjust all ingredients according to your taste, but I love the way this turned out. The first bite gives you a sweetness on the tip of your tongue and then the heat his the back of your tongue and throat.

No comments: