Saturday, April 6, 2013

Slow cooker Indian chick peas and spinach

I have been looking for easy slow cooker recipes for Indian food. I want to make more of it for Oli but don't have time to spend hours in front of the stove for one dish. I read some in The Indian Slow Cooker book, and looked at a few online. I didn't like any in their entirety so I decided to take the plunge and make my own!!!

What I had:
  • 2 cups dry chick peas, rinsed and drained
  • 8 oz fresh spinach
  • 2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes
  • 2 russet potatoes diced into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped finely
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • 2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper 
  • 2 cups water
What I did:
  • Put the chick peas in the slow cooker
  • Added the potatoes and tomatoes
  • Added the garlic and ginger
  • Added all the spices
  • Put the spinach on top
  • Added 1 cup water
  • Started the slow cooker at high for 8 hrs
  • After 3 hours, I checked and the spinach seemed to be getting dry on top so I mixed it all up and added another cup of water
  • I checked at 5 hrs into cooking and it was done!

You can swerve this with naan, over rice or even over bread slices.

2 comments:

e said...

This makes me happy to consider, even if my children won't consider eating leaves. :)

Syl said...

You can leave the spinach out, I had extra :-)